Some of the links include videos or text and slideshows.
- When Harry met Ginny or how to fall in love with fanfiction
co-presenter with Heike Philp at the JALTCALL2021 Japan Association for Language Teaching
Sat, Jun 5, 17:00-17:30 Asia/Tokyo
- Language, Culture, & Heritage - Panel Session 1: Immersive Storytelling in Virtual Worlds for Transcendence
co-Presentation with Heike Philp, Doris Mollero, Amany Alkhayat, at the 7th International Conference of the Immersive Learning Research Network iLRN 2021
June 5 • 4:00pm
With the advent of Virtual Worlds, new horizons have opened up for Education, especially so in the pandemic era. During this iLRN2021 Panel Discussion, we will present the main challenges addressed and the outcomes produced towards inspiring the participants to transcend previous achievements throughout our workshop "Immersive Storytelling In Virtual Worlds". For five weeks earlier this year, with moderators and 110 participant teachers, our EVO session focused on the skills, methods and techniques required for promoting the use of VWs for Immersive Storytelling in the new classroom. The affordances of a 3D user-created Virtual environment such as OpenSim can prove indispensable to the language teacher, educator, tutor, course designer or trainer moving their classes online or resorting to hybrid and blended practices, at any stage of the Educational system. The process of recreating popular narratives in Virtual Worlds can effectively accelerate immersive language acquisition by motivating learners to take charge of their own education with an avatar, in a creative, imaginative and memorable way.
- "Deep Media for Deep Learning in TESOL. New habits call for new Habitats."
a Presentation for the 1st ANNUAL VIRTUATELL CONFERENCE, organised by New York State Teachers of English to Speakers of Other Languages
'As learners become more technologically advanced in their daily expressions, this presentation focuses on instances of using Transmedia Storytelling for a personalised approach to TESOL through Virtual Worlds. Going beyond mere visual representations of spaces, an immersive 3D-based world with user-generated content lends itself to deeper and more substantial educational experiences which will help language learners develop a series of competencies such as Content Mastery, Collaboration, Effective Communication, Self-directed Learning, Critical Thinking, Problem Solving, and an Academic, Growth Mind-set, in a world that is changing at an unprecedented pace.
The Presenter highlights ways in which Transmedia Storytelling together with the affordances of Virtual Worlds and Deeper Learning strategies create the conditions for accelerated learning for success in our learners' civic, professional and academic lives regardless of their age group and stage of learning.'
- "Animate Alice in (Virtual) Wonderlands" - a Workshop for Virtual Round Table Web Conference on how to get started in Open Sim. 16th April 2021
'The use of Virtual Worlds is now a new Paradigm for Teaching English as an International Language. During this workshop, you can explore how to use Open Simulator, Kitely to teach English to Speakers of Other Languages. Join me to find out how you can fully immerse your students in the learning process in-world and what types of lessons you can have with your classes through the affordances of a 3D multi-user Virtual World. Come and see how you can create your avatar depending on your lesson aims, do some basic building and how to teleport to different destinations to select resources for lessons with your virtual representations.'
- Presenter at Virtual Worlds Best Practices in Education, Spotlight Presentation: "When Harry met Ginny or How to to fall in love with fanfiction" with Heike Philp & Doris Molero @ VWBPE Lecture Area A, Mar 19th 2021 @ 12:00 PM – 12:50 PM
- Presenter at 'Virtual Worlds Best Practices in Education, International Conference on Education' 19th March 2021
"Transmedia Storytelling for English Language Teaching in virtual worlds: Mission Accomplished"
A presentation with my avatar ErlinaAzure on Second Life, VWBPE Lecture Area A, March 19th 2021 @ 10:00 AM – 10:50 AM
"As learning environments are being redefined in order to meet learner needs, the Principles of Transmedia storytelling make an impact on the classroom setting because of how technologically advanced learners are today. Virtual World affordances, Mobile devices, Social Media platforms, Digital Media, Augmented Reality and learning management systems (LMS) are the new equipment of an educator. Join this presentation to find out how Mythos, Topos and Ethos are best implemented in a Virtual World to enhance the language teaching process."
- 42nd TESOL Greece Annual International Convention, 7th March 2021
"To my (Avatar) Heart's Content"; Developing empathy, inspiration and social understanding through the Arts, Literature and Drama for language acquisition in Virtual Worlds
The recording of the Presentation will be ready to be viewed in the website Members' Area on https://tesolgreece.org after May 31st, 2021
Moderator on "Transmedia Storytelling", for Immersive Storytelling in Virtual Worlds.
The use of transmedia on my Project "Wilde & Transmedia Storytelling for 21st Century Competencies" which is build on the skybox on my ELT Treasure Island, Kitely
Training educators how to use the affordances of Virtual Worlds to promote Transmedia Storytelling for English Language Teaching on Open Simulator, Kitely
- University of Thessaly, 1st International Convention, 27th September 2020
"Leveraging the Affordances of Immersive Virtual Worlds in the Contemporary ESOL/EAP/ESP classroom: a Holistic process for Language Acquisition to foster Experiential Learning, Differentiated Instruction and Heutagogy that cater for diverse educational needs."
- 11th Virtual Round Table Web Conference 2020
. Moderator of the CLIL Symposium with Letizia Cinganotto and Daniela Cuccurulo
. Moderator of the OS Symposium with Heike Philp, Annalisa Di Pierro and Helena Galani
. Presenter of: "Innovative teaching through Virtual Worlds to establish Differentiated Instruction and learner Heutagogy in ELT"
- Immersive Language Learning in Virtual Worlds, Electronic Village Online, 2020, Moderator & Presenter
"Leveraging the affordances provided in 3D Virtual Worlds, promotes language acquisition and provides meaningful, purposeful, self-determined immersive learning.
- 2nd Conference, Hellenic Scientific Institute Economics of Education & Lifelong Learning, of Research & Innovation, 2018, Presenter
"Leveraging innovative online applications, LMS, Virtual Worlds and educational machinima for the promotion of learner and educator creativity in foreign language education and Life long Learning."
"Η αξιοποίηση καινοτόμων διαδικτυακών εφαρμογών, ΣΔΜ, εικονικών κόσμων κι εκπαιδευτικών machinima για την προώθηση της δημιουργικότητας μαθητών κι εκπαιδευτών στην ξενόγλωσση εκπαίδευση και τη Διά Βίου Μάθηση."
- 10th Virtual Round Table & 9th vLanguages WebCon, 2018, Presenter
"It's anyone's game: keep it flowing"
Is it feasible to teach language through ELT games in social Virtual Worlds? What parameters and mechanics of game design are taken into account when creating language games in-world? During this presentation, we look at examples and simple ways of ensuring game flow by integrating language pedagogy with virtual world technologies, as an integral part of teaching at all levels of language education.
- 39th TESOL Greece International Annual Convention, 2018
"Responding to challenges in ELT through Creativity in Virtual Worlds"
- 38th TESOL Greece International Annual Convention, 2017
"“Out of this World – eclectic honeybees in holistic VWs" Athens, March 2017 with Letizia Cinganotto (Italy) and Heike Philp (Brussels/Germany)
- EVO ViLLAGE 2017, Week 5 'Immersive scenarios' for ELT, applying games in virtual teaching (VirtualLanguage Learning and Game Environments)
- 2nd Panhellenic Conference with International Participation for the Promotion of Innovation in Education, 2016
"'Immersion' for 'Emergence': Educators' professional development on the use of multisensory, virtual and simulating worlds for exponential language teaching."
«Εμβάπτιση» για «Ανάδυση»: επαγγελματική ανάπτυξη διδασκόντων πάνω στη χρήση πολυαισθητικών, εικονικών κόσμων προσομοίωσης για εκθετική γλωσσοδιδασκαλία».
Available in the Conference Proceedings Volumn B page 750
- EVO ViLLAGE 2016
moderator (Virtual Language Learning And Game Environments)
- Presenting on "the usefulness of "EFLmachinima", an Interview with Christel Schneider for CAMELOT Project
- The 8th Virtual Round Table Web conference 2016 on which I moderated the Immersive Worlds the Symposium (with Ann Nowak), and presented "Learner Immersion for Emergence"
- The third annual Second Life MOOC 2016 on "Lessons from a Skybox - Using SL immersive environments to teach EFL"
- TechSoup's Non profit Commons on SL hosted by Joyce Bettencourt to introduce EVO ViLLAGE 2016
- 37th TESOL Greece Annual Convention 2016,
“Promoting self-directed learning through virtually true episodic experiences.” Proceedings pending. Page 17
- ICODL 2015, 8th International Conference in Open and Distance Learning,
"The usefulness of Tutorials and language machinima in the Flipped TEFL/EAP Classroom (with interdisciplinary benefits in education)" - Athens, November 2015.
- The 8th Second Life Languages Symposium 2015 at which I presented "SL Machinima for Young & Teenage Learners" and "From Board Games to Role Plays" with Heike Philp, Ann Nowak, Christel Schneider, Randall Sadler, Stylianos Mystakides
-University of Macedonia, Northern Greece, 1st Panhellenic Conference in LLL:«Εκλεκτικισμός και Ολιστική Συμμετοχικότητα στη Δια Βίου Μάθηση» 'Eclecticism and Holistic Participation in Lifelong Learning'
- TESOL Greece: "Journalism in EFL"